Need to know
To help you plan and make the most of this trip to Tierra del Fuego, we have compiled some frequently asked questions that might arise. From practical aspects to general information you need to know.
Get ready to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of Tierra del Fuego as you venture into this fascinating corner of the world!
In this trip, everything is included: Accommodations and transfers detailed in the itinerary, meals, beverages, and guided explorations.
The journey starts in Punta Arenas and ends in Punta Arenas. To get to the city of Punta Arenas, you will need to take a flight from Santiago de Chile. The direct flight has an estimated duration of 4 hours.
If your arrival is on November 25th, we will pick you up from the airport starting at 10 am and take you to the hotel.
If you arrived the day before, we will pick you up on the 25th from the hotel in Punta Arenas where you are staying.
We remind you that the check-in time is from 3:00 pm onwards.
The phone signal is intermittent and will only be available until the 3rd day of the trip.
On the last day, when returning to Pampa Guanaco, we will have signal again.
There is no freely available Wi-Fi. There will be satellite Wi-Fi available for emergency cases at the cabins in Estancia Lago Fagnano.
Yes. For the safety of our travelers, we will have a satellite phone in one of the vehicles for exclusive use in case of emergencies.
There are different types of accommodation during the journey, as options in Tierra del Fuego are quite limited. Therefore, we have carefully selected those that best suit creating a deep knowledge experience with the territory and can provide extraordinary value to our travelers.
- First night: We will stay in Punta Arenas at a small hotel, a colonial house that keeps the local culture alive both in its decor and offerings.
- Second night: We will be on Tierra del Fuego, one of the most remote places in the world. For this night, we will stay at a fishing lodge that only has single rooms, so each traveler will have to sleep independently.
- Third, fifth, and sixth nights: We will stay in different rooms within cabins located in the middle of a Patagonian forest on the shores of Lake Fagnano. The cabins and rooms are simple but hosted by great people: the last settlers of Tierra del Fuego, who are delighted to welcome us and share part of their history.
- Fourth night: We will be on a boat with double cabins. There is limited shower availability (except for one), but the breathtaking experience of waking up surrounded by the Darwin mountain range and spectacular glaciers makes it worth it. We will have lunch the following day at the cabins.
These lodging choices have been carefully selected to provide a deep and meaningful experience with the territory, offering something extraordinary to our travelers.
We will use 4×4 trucks for both our travelers and our staff accompanying us on this journey.
The trucks are suitable for the road and various weather conditions that we may encounter.
We recommend a maximum of 1 suitcase weighing up to 20 kg.
The plane that will transport you back to Punta Arenas from Tierra del Fuego has limited capacity.
The transfer on a private plane from Tierra del Fuego to Punta Arenas is included and has an approximate flight duration of 30 minutes.
We do not include the return experience by land, which could take an additional 6 to 10 hours.
*In case of weather restrictions and the plane cannot take off, the return will be by land. We recommend you take this into consideration for your return flight from Punta Arenas to Santiago de Chile.
It is not possible to modify the itinerary or explorations.
This trip is recommended for active individuals who are capable of hiking on uneven terrain, such as mud, rocks, snow, or peat bogs. Hikes of up to 10 kilometers with inclines and declines are included.
The food during the trip consists of a unique menu with local components from Patagonia. There will be lamb roasts on a spit and other preparations that help us understand part of the local culture of Tierra del Fuego.
Travelers with any type of food intolerance should inform us in advance to evaluate the adaptation of their meals.
Excellent Chilean wines are included in the menu.
It won’t be the same as going to an Explora. This trip takes place in a remote location with basic infrastructure, but we will accommodate it with different Explora touches for each and every moment.
In case of an emergency, our staff is trained to handle various emergency situations.
Our guides are certified in first aid, which will enable them to properly assess any event that requires medical attention.
Basic medical attention is available in the city of Porvenir. For other treatments and depending on the severity, it may be necessary to transfer to Punta Arenas.
As there are no nearby pharmacies, we recommend not forgetting to bring all the necessary medications for the entire trip.
BOOKING AND CANCELATION POLICIES
You may cancel your booking up to 60 days before your check-in, free of fines. If you cancel your booking after that period, the following conditions apply:
• 60 days or more before the check-in date: no fine
• 59-30 days before the check-in date: 50% fine
• 29-0 days before the check-in date: 100% fine
The traveler must sign the flight disclaimer and exploration waiver.
We recommend purchasing travel insurance in case of emergency evacuation.