FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. WHAT KIND OF EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE?
San Pedro de Atacama, the town near the lodge, has a health clinic with nine paramedics. More serious emergencies can be treated at the Calama hospital, a one-hour drive from the lodge.
All of our guides have Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification, and thus, possess the necessary knowledge and skills to be able to assist people in remote areas.
2. IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY HOW CAN MY FAMILY CONTACT ME
They can contact you by calling + 56 2 3244 2000, or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. WHAT EXPLORATION CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT SHOULD I BRING?
We provide, at no additional cost, walking sticks and gaiters (leg guards) for the walks, hikes and treks, and all of the equipment necessary for horseback and bicycle riding.
4. AFTER MAKING MY RESERVATION, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO CHANGE MY ROOM?
When making your reservation, you must select a room – with either a king-size bed or two double beds. Once at the lodge, should you so desire, you may change rooms (for instance, for a different bed), as long as there is availability.
5. ARE THE ROOMS AIR-CONDITIONED?
No. Because of its altitude and desert environment, Atacama is very dry, so you do not feel hot in the shade. In addition, the lodge’s architectural design allows for and promotes natural air circulation.
6. WHAT KINDS OF VEHICLES ARE USED FOR TRAVEL AT EXPLORA ATACAMA?
We use our own vans, which are modern, comfortable and roomy. Each van has a maximum capacity of 10 people.
7. IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET TO EXPLORA ATACAMA FROM THE ARGENTINE BORDER?
Yes, we can pick up or drop off travelers at the Sico or Jama border crossings (chilean side) There is an additional charge for this service. Please check out alternatives: email@example.com
8. WHAT TIME DO THE SHUTTLE/TRANSFER BUSES TRAVEL BETWEEN THE CALAMA AIRPORT AND EXPLORA ATACAMA?
Transportation between the airport in Calama and explora Atacama – in both directions – is scheduled around passengers’ flights.
9. WHAT ARE THE DISTANCES BETWEEN SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA AND THE MAIN PLACES IN THE AREA?
San Pedro de Atacama / Jama border crossing: 183 km (114 mi).
San Pedro de Atacama / Sico border crossing: 200 km (124 mi).
San Pedro de Atacama / Arica: 804 km (500 mi). San Pedro de Atacama / Iquique: 487 km (303 mi).
San Pedro de Atacama / Antofagasta: 311 km (193 mi).
San Pedro de Atacama / Calama: 98 km (61 mi).
10. IS IT POSSIBLE TO TRAVEL TO SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA BY PLANE?
Yes, there is a paved landing strip in San Pedro de Atacama, but only for small planes (maximum: 8,000 kg / 17,637 pounds). Because of the limited infrastructure, take offs and landings are only allowed just before sunset.
11. IS THERE MOBILE PHONE SERVICE AT EXPLORA ATACAMA?
Yes, both explora Atacama and the town of San Pedro have good connectivity for all kinds of mobile phones.
12. DO RATES INCLUDE TIPS?
No. At explora, tipping is voluntary. If you would like to leave a tip, please do so at the lodge reception desk at the end of your stay. This will be shared amongst all who made your trip a memorable experience. An appropriate amount would be US$100 per traveler per stay.
13. WHAT ARE THE LODGE’S COORDINATES?
14. WHAT IS THE ALTITUDE OF THE LODGE?
2,500 meters (8,202 feet) above sea level.